This is somewhat of a personal post. But I feel like I should declare it to any readers out there. (Feel free to drop by and say "Hi" and not just lurk please)
I have delved into minimalism and I think about minimalist principles and simplicity many times every day.
My physical clutter is still not that too minimal but it's getting there. My mental clutter is also not that minimal and there needs to be more work done in that arena.
Here are the actions that I will take to counter my physical and mental clutter classified respectively:
To diminish physical clutter:
1) Throw out all non-functioning materials tomorrow (books, some bags, clothes)
2) Sell some unused stuff like my golf club set (I wonder what bit me to take that purchase)
3) Do some spring cleaning
To diminish mental clutter:
1) Continue daily meditation. (It's my 21st day with formal meditation and I can call myself a meditator now. I love doing it just before sleeping.) I have always meditated on issues before but a structure now is nice.
2) Minimize online social networking (to twice a day). Not only the blatant misuse of time, but the incoming information distracts one from work.
3) Start writing more on the meditation journal (yes, with pen and paper).
4) Many more
As I write this post, I realize that my mental clutter far exceeds my physical clutter. The last year has made me a very tidy person.
I also realize I need to take some drastic steps to further alleviate my mental clutter.
Some steps I will implement this week:
- Get away from the internet once a week. Let's call it the Internet-Closeout Day or ICD.
- Check email and online social networking sites once or twice a day the rest of the week (non-ICD ).
- Check news once every three days. I really don't think anything significant happens. If it's very important I will hear it through facebook, google plus, email, phone call, text messaging, holy mother of god, how many communication protocols do we need!!!
- Thinking about 3, cut back some communication protocols? (not too certain about this)
- Take meditation to another level very soon. :)
- Run more, do body weight exercises more, eat better food. Yes, these are really physiological choices but the effects of these choices are very much mental as well as physical so I have put them here. It's a curve ball.
- I think, that's good for now.